Omelettes are such a great cooked breakfast or lunch, really filling and healthy too. There are lots of variations like a soufflé omelette or frittata but today I am looking at a really easy omelette you can whip up quickly.Jump to Recipe
Omelette with cheese, ham and mushrooms
The mail ingredients you always need for an omelette is eggs and after that its really up to you what else you include. My favourite at the moment is ham, cheese and mushrooms.
Cooking a really easy Omelette
I like to use 3 small eggs for an omelette, no milk, cream or other additions just whole eggs beaten. I then season the eggs after beating them.
You want to have a frying pan on a high heat with some butter or frylight. Then you add the eggs, making sure they cover the whole of the pan base. At this point I turn the heat down to medium.
Once the edges start to set (see above photo) you are ready to add your fillings.
Omelette fillings so versatile some of my favourites:
- Just herbs
- Cheese & onion
- Tomato & basil
- Mushroom, ham & cheese
- Bacon & cheese
- Salmon, cream cheese & chives
You need to have your fillings prepared and ready waiting to be added before you cook the eggs. So once the eggs are ready you can add he ham and mushrooms. Then top with the cheese.
I tend to use a handful of grated cheddar cheese for my omelettes.
Once you have added the fillings after around 30 seconds you can flip one half over to top the fillings. I like to cook for another 30 seconds to give the cheese time to melt before serving.
Or try a skinny herby omelette?
Another favourite of mine at the moment is the skinny herby omelette, this one is really healthy. Just eggs, parsley, chives and basil. With herbs I mix them into the beaten eggs.
If you want super healthy omelettes you can just use the egg whites but I prefer using the whole egg.
Omelette with Cheese, Ham & Mushrooms
- 3 Eggs beaten
- 1 handful Cheddar Cheese grated
- 250 g Mushrooms sliced
- 1 handful ham shredded
- Prepare your fillings, slice the mushrooms and grate the cheese
- Fry the mushrooms until cooked, adding the ham for the last 30 seconds then set aside
- Beat the eggs in a bowl or jug and season
- Put a clean frying pan on a high heat
- When the pan is hot add some Frylight or butter
- Add the eggs to the pan, swirling the pan so the eggs cover the base, turn the heat down to medium
- Once the egg starts to set on the edges add the fillings to one half of the egg base and cook for another 30 seconds
- Flip the side without fillings on top of the fillings and cook for another 30 seconds
- Serve straight away