I am a big pancake fan and pancake day is something I look forward to. One year we had a pancake week and did lots of savoury pancake recipes which went surprisingly well.
I grew up with classic style thin pancakes. These are great savoury or sweet. Pancakes are really easy to make, the batter only takes a few minutes to pull together. Making pancakes is also a really great activity with kids, the batter is really simple to follow.
Ingredients for pancake batter
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- pinch of salt
Method for classic pancakes
The first job is to mix the batter, adding the milk slowly should help you get a smooth batter.
When you cook your batter I wait for the bubbles before flipping. I flip with a fish slice as I don’t want to risk any pancake on the floor with failed flipping attempts but each to their own.
I love that you almost always have pancake ingredients in and they feel like such a treat. Perfect for weekend breakfasts.
Pancakes are great savoury or sweet so you can have a real variety of toppings, be experimental and have fun with your pancakes. Here are some of my favourite toppings:
- Lemon & sugar
- Strawberries & creme fraiche
- Golden syrup
- Maple Syrup
- Ice Cream
- Bacon & Egg
- Ham & Cheese
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 150 ml milk
- a pinch of salt
- Put the flour in a bowl and add a pinch of salt
- Add the egg to the bowl
- Add a tablespoon of milk to the bowl and begin to mix
- Slowly add the milk as you continue to mix the batter
- The batter should be smooth and only slightly thickened
- Heat the pan adding some oil or fry light. Then pour 2 tablespoons of batter into the hot pan. Swirl the pan so the batter covers the whole pan
- After about 1 minute the batter will be cooking and you should be able to easily lift the edges of the batter with a spatula. Flip the pancake.
- Cook for another minute then serve while warm
Do you want some inspiration for your breakfast? Sign up to The Breakfast Page newsletter and we will send you a free checklist of 52 different breakfasts. See how many you have already tried and get some inspiration to try a different breakfast for each week of the year.